I believe that in the past decade, our education system has been improving. Being from the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools District, which I would constitute as elite in education, I firmly believe that the education system is starting to produce higher quality students. From SAT scores to AP exam scores, the education particularly in Chapel Hill and Carrboro has been increasingly more and more competitive. In this writing, it mentions that we need to start educating people to better human life, not just prepare people for jobs and the workforce. Furthermore, in the writing it mentions that there are pretty much two ways of educating people. Pretty much, there is the old school way which is compared to "farms" or agrarianism and the new school way which would be compared to "factories" or industrialism. What I believe this essay is outlining is that while both pretty much are based from deeply held values, there are, in fact, differences to these two subjects. "The difference has to do with the values associated with the traditions and what those values have meant in political, economic, and educational arenas."
One of the other big points of this article is that the American public has lost sight of noble values including frugality, good neighborship, the avoidance of risk, and the psychological profit in work done well. I agree with three of four of these topics. I agree that the average american is pretty wasteful whether it's trash, water, water or time. I also agree that the american public has lost sight of "good neighborship." We are no longer a society that is based off of deeply held values and instead we are one that will use others for our own benefit. The third concept that was listed in this writing was that americans are no longer avoiding risks. While it is true that people should stop being careless, in my opinion people should not stop taking risks. People take risks every day and the world is a better place because of it. The fourth topic is the psychological profit in work done well. I think that there is a lot of value in doing something with a purpose and doing it well. However, as a full-time student, I understand that it is nearly impossible to put forth your best effort with everything. Which is why people need to prioritize. Prioritizing, in my opinion, is a skill that many people lack. It is important to be able to determine what you need to do and when and in what order.
No comments:
Post a Comment