In my opinion, I think religion and the environment can and maybe even should be a joint practice if it means a positive outcome for both. As long as the relationship between religion and the environment is not harmful, I don't think there is a problem. However, the distinction that must be made is that they are separate practices: one involves gods and faith and "believing" while the other is essential to earth. They are two practices that are independent from each other but that doesn't mean that they can't join together.
In the video, I was intrigued by what Mary Evelyn Tucker was saying about needed to take what is written in scriptures and other religious writings but apply it to today and today's problems because they are much different from what they used to be. What was written in the past isn't really relevant to the present which is why people need to take what was written and put it into context that is relevant.
Basically, I think that while they could be intertwined, they are two separate and independent practices that should in the end, remain separate and independent of each other, but there's no reason that they couldn't join together in order to benefit one or the other.
No comments:
Post a Comment