Friday, February 17, 2012

Artifact: Environmental History

Here is a link to some environmental history.
Click on "Women's Movement" to learn more about Women's roles in "the nation's environmental movement." 
Click on "Mother of the Forest" to learn more about the history of finding gold in California.
One particularly outstanding woman was Ellen Richards who started the "home ecology" movement which fought for clean kitchens, clean water and clean cites. 

3 comments:

  1. I like the artifact you found and how it touched on several different issues. The first issue being the most common among what we've being talking about, this notion of cleanliness throughout the city and whatnot. But what your artifact also talks about is the push for women's rights. I think both os these are very important and very interesting when put together like this. Well done, I like this a lot.

    My artifact was deforestation and how fast forests are being depleted in the US. It's scary to actually be able to see how, today, there are hardly any forests left, especially on the eastern side of the country. You don't really know how bad something is until you see for yourself and it definitely makes you want to do something about it. See you in class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really thought about environmental impact from a cleanliness view, so this was definitely an interesting new perspective. The work of Ellen Richards was the most intriguing to me, definitely an impressive woman! My post was about the Chernobyl accident....soooo not a whole lot of similarities there, though i guess you could say that whole incident was not too clean. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the Radium girls for some reason. I dont know why but they were kind of pioneers for the equal and fair treatment of girls in the workplace and they didnt even know it. The world needs its powerful, headstrong women.

    ReplyDelete